I was driving Mikayla to school today and I was listening to our local morning show, Jackie and Bender. Today, they were discussing the new Cameron Diaz and James Marsden movie, The Box.

For those of you who haven't heard of the movie, here is a synopsis from Flickster:
Norma and Arthur Lewis, a suburban couple with a young child, receive a simple wooden box as a gift, which bears fatal and irrevocable consequences. A mysterious stranger, delivers the message that the box promises to bestow upon its owner $1 million with the press of a button. But, pressing this button will simultaneously cause the death of another human being somewhere in the world; someone they don't know. With just 24 hours to have the box in their possession, Norma and Arthur find themselves in the cross-hairs of a startling moral dilemma and must face the true nature of their humanity.
Bender asked the listening audience, "What would you do in this situation?"

I was surprised at the number of people who called in and said that they would push the button in a heartbeat, no other questions asked.

Me? I'll admit my first thought was, "Well, if I could guarantee that the person was a bad guy, or, that they were going to die that day anyways, why not?" But, then I really thought about it. How is this any different than, say, murder for hire? That person that was going to die that day anyways? How could I steal them from their family for even a second? Shouldn't a human life be worth more than $1 million? Shouldn't it be priceless? I know mine is and I would hate it if someone put a price tag of $1 million on it.

So, I decided that, no, I wouldn't push that button. What about you? Could you push it? What thoughts run through your mind as you think about the question?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan and I discussed the first time I saw the trailer...my immediate response was "no way in hell" could I push the button. Know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could not live with the guilt of having taken another person's life...Karen

Post a Comment